Pantone’s 2012 Fall Colors

I have to admit, when I first saw Pantone’s colors for Fall 2012, my first reaction was… meh. That’s kind of why it’s taken me so long to comment on them; I just didn’t think I had a whole lot to say.

But then I started really looking, and when I started looking, I started playing. Most people probably aren’t going to use so many trend colors in one go, but I enjoyed playing around with them as a group.

Individually, I’m loving the vividness of Ultramarine Green,  and the quieter colors of French Roast, Titanium, and Rose Smoke. Rose Smoke was a surprise – it’s not a color I normally gravitate to. But the soft, dusky pinkish purple looks great with so many colors. I also had a hard time not overusing the chocolately gray-brown French Roast; it, too, looks fantastic paired with every other fall pick.

The more I look at them, the more I really dig Pantone’s picks this season. Even Tangerine Tango is winning me over; I’m loving the way it looks in the first and sixth palettes, how about you?

What do you think about this fall’s picks? Which color or combo would you use?

12 Responses to Pantone’s 2012 Fall Colors

1. maneki says:

I had a similar reaction when I first saw them, but as you say: once one get started playing with different possible combos it becomes interesting. And inspiring. I look at the Pantone forcast not because of any fashion-related reason, but because I want some new ideas about colours and colour combos to think about using. (Even came up with a “colour game” for the forcasts, using ten-sided dice to randomly pairing two or more colours for a personal colour challenge.)

Once combo I’ve considered playing with is French roast, Honey gold, Pink flambe and/or bright chartreuse.
    maneki recently posted Meowy Monday: Cat photo of the weekMy Profile

I don’t see the Pantone forecast as anything more than a guideline, either, but some choices leave me confused. This set, though, I’m really appreciating the colors and how well they work together!

I think out of the bunch, Honey Gold is my least favorite, but your two suggestions sound really awesome! I bet that pop of Bright Chartreuse would be fabulous.

2. Yep, me too.. I normally do a blog post for the new colors and it’s still on my to-do, but I’ve felt kind of lackluster about it. However, after seeing your post I’m going to look at it with fresh eyes and see what I see.

The actually like several of the colors – the bright chartreuse, French roast and tangerine tango being my favorites. But maybe it was seeing them all together that just doesn’t work.

Thanks for opening up my eyes to some very cool possibilities.
    Janet Bocciardi recently posted Wordless Wednesday – Best Way to Pass the TimeMy Profile

I hear you about feeling lackluster. I’m beginning to wonder if I hadn’t given past color forecasts much of a chance – I think going forward I’m going to play with them individually to see what happens! That’s the reason I fell in love with certain Fall colors – I never, ever would have picked some of them, but they really won me over.

I’d love to see if you work up any combos you do like!

3. I am really gravitating to the gray, orange, teal and brown colors this year. I love them! And I have a dusty pink ensemble that I am trying to hammer out with a touch of a soft lilac and teal. Hmmmm… thanks for the inspiration! I look forward to our challenge next month! ;-)
    Erin
    Erin Prais-Hintz recently posted Michaels Toast of the Town Variations Blog HopMy Profile

If I had to pick just one, I’m absolutely digging Ultramarine Green right now. I usually go for olive greens, but this emerald-y shade has me swooning.

I’m definitely looking forward to our challenge! Can’t wait till it goes live. :)

I think I’m loving them all except the Ultramarine Green (weird). I love the French Roast and Bright Chartreuse (not surprising) and the Titanium but like you I think the Rose Smoke is really lovely and not normally a colour I’d gravitate towards. I like your palettes they really having got me inspired – hmmmm.
    Libby recently posted We have a winnerMy Profile

Huh, I would have thought that Ultramarine Green would have been a shoo in for you, Miss Libby! But I think you and I tend to favor the yellow-greens a little more than the emerald shades, right? It caught me off guard how much I’m loving Ultramarine Green.

I’d love to see any combos you work up!

5. Emily Spada says:

I kind of like the combination of the first three on the top row: french roast, honey gold, and pink flambe.
    Emily Spada recently posted Extreme Makeover: Room Edition, Vol. 7 – Curtains!My Profile

6. Nora says:

I really like the Ultramarine Green too…and love the fourth combo you put together.
    Nora recently posted A messy desk…My Profile