An Artist’s Guide to Pricing v.2

For months, pricing and value have been rattling around in my head. How do you value yourself as an artist? What message are sellers sending out with their prices? What should go into a price? How do you price different kinds of products?

It’s been on my mind since I first wrote An Artist’s Guide to Pricing last year, but it’s turned into a consuming obsession recently. So, I made some time over the last couple of weeks to come back and revisit what I wrote, and today, I’ve got an updated version of my pricing ebook for you!

The core message hasn’t changed; I’m still talking about the methodology and psychology of pricing, and offering practical tips for artists. I’m really excited about this new version, though, because I feel like this second look helped me find clearer ways to say things. In fact, I think version 2 is better than the original – it’s tighter, more informative, and better designed. And this time around, I’ve included ideas for pricing digital products and services, in addition to pricing for physical products.

In case you’re wondering, yep, it’s still free and the same copyright from the original applies – so long as you credit me and aren’t using it in a commercial endeavor, you can keep it, share it, print it. Tell your friends! And if you could link to the post, versus the download directly, that’d be awesome. Thank you!

To download a copy, click here.

Much love goes out to the following artists for giving me permission to include their work in version 2: Dave Conrey, Ronica Jones, Erin Prais-Hintz, Kellie at 74 Lime Lane, Nic McPhee, and Julie from Farmer Julie.

Updated December 2013: After two years, this ebook has been retired. Thanks to the thousands who downloaded and enjoyed it!

15 Responses to An Artist’s Guide to Pricing v.2

1. Hazel says:

It may just be me, but I’m getting a error when I try to download :(

Hey Hazel. It’s coming up as a pop up instead of a new tab for me. Do you have a pop-up blocker on your browser, by chance? Let me look into it, but in the mean time, I’ll email it directly to you!

• Hazel says:

Oh, thank you! No pop-up blocker here – I tried saving the file, and just opening it, but neither way worked. I expect it’s me, I just wanted to let you know, just in case :)

2. Hazel says:

But I’m looking forward to reading it when I can – the first version was great, so thank you for revising it :)

3. Thank you Brandi this is a lot of work and very generous of you.
    Anne Lichtenstein recently posted New listings active at 6:30pm (EST)My Profile

4. sansi m says:

Thank you Brandi for your generous sharing of information.
    I look foward to reading this.

Thanks Brandi for revisiting this topic. I know this has been spinning around my head too but you are way smarter at this and much more eloquent in explaining it. I can’t wait to read this one as I found your first one so helpful. It really is very generous of you to offer this up as a free eBook when a lesser person would be charging for it. So thanks.
    Libby recently posted Flickr three :: #85B3BF :: bound by blueMy Profile

6. stephanie says:

Thank you SO much for such a valuable read for any creative soul searching for answers on how to make a living as an artist!

7. Wonderful!! Thank you. I appreciate that you include the importance of valuing work and pricing well, and think of customers too!

8. Rachel says:

The download is not working for me. I have made sure to turn my pop up blocker off. Not sure what else I’m doing wrong! lol. Would love to read this!

9. Lisa D. says:

This is something I’ve always struggled with so I look forward to reading your thoughts on the subject.
    Lisa D. recently posted Time to Challenge Myself…Design-WiseMy Profile

10. Thanks for the email reminder, Brandi. I am not yet decided about whether to become a “seller” in a new field, so I anticipate your book will answer many questions I’ve not yet considered. I look forward to reading it!
    Monique U (A Half-Baked Notion) recently posted AJE Earring Challenge Catch-Up Part II: Weeks 39-42My Profile

11. Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell, but glad to hear you are on the mend and changing up your life and priorities again! I’ve just downloaded your gem of a book. Thanks so much for sharing this! –Sharyl