A Quick Survey

Hey friends, I’ve got quick question for you today. It’s been burning in my mind for the last week, so I figured I’d just come out and ask:

If you were ordering a print, what size do you prefer?
5×5 inches, 5×7 inches, 8×10 inches, or none of the above?

I recognize I’m not giving any details that may help you, and that sometimes the answer depends on what the subject matter is. But if you could leave me a comment with your general preference (I can’t get those fancy survey deals to work here, no matter how long I try to get them to work), that would be so helpful.

Prefer to stay anonymous? Email works, too.

Thank you!

19 Responses to A Quick Survey

1. Rebecca says:

Hi Brandi,

Typically, if I am ordering an artist print or graphic print, I would opt for a larger size (poster or portrait). However, if I am looking for a smaller print, I generally gravitate to the 5×7. You have peeked my interest and I can’t wait to find out more about the reason behind this question!

xoxo,
    Rebecca

2. Rach says:

yeah, what are you up to, Brandi? ;)
    I also like the larger poster sizes (they can be hard to find ready-made) or 8×10.

3. Roni J. says:

I have always, and forever will be a fan of postcard-y sizes. 4″ x 6″, 5″ x 7″…if it looks like a flyer, art card, or postcard for mailing I want it. The bigger it is the more artsy and fancy and less handmade-y stuff looks and then I just want an original.

I have also been in a postcard/mail art making frenzy so this opinion is completely swayed lol

4. Carolina says:

5×7 is always a nice general size. You can frame it and then place on a side table, or add to a collection of postcards. Can’t wait to see what you are coming up with!
    Carolina recently posted Learn as I Blog…Time ManagementMy Profile

5. carolyn says:

5×5. something a little different & unique from the standard sizes.

6. Marlene Cupo says:

I vote for 5×7 too. Seems to be the most versatile.
    Marlene Cupo recently posted Ocean Finds NecklaceMy Profile

7. Lauren says:

I think 5×7 is a good size for a photo. I’m intrigued by the 5×5 idea, but think an 8×10 would make me wish for something bigger. Kind of like it’s too small to be big, and too big to be small…
    Lauren recently posted The Ladybird and The CactusMy Profile

8. Kellie says:

I’m a 5×7 girl as a standard. Especially for large collections of things.
    Kellie recently posted {friday freebies} wrap it, tag it, label itMy Profile

9. Susan says:

Hi, Brandi – I prefer 5×7, probably because it gives me more flexibility for arrangement, collections, etc. when it comes to space.
    Susan recently posted INITIALLY YOURS – Sterling Silver and Swarovski Crystal NecklaceMy Profile

10. Francesca says:

Love 5×5 – but it really depends of the subject matter. Sometimes only a poster size will do!
    Francesca recently posted Random thoughtsMy Profile

If I’m ordering a digital print I like the 8 x 10, otherwise I’m a bit attached to 5 x 7.
    Libby recently posted Working on :: the evolution of a podMy Profile

12. If I am ordering a print to hang up, I would definitely go for 8×10 inches at the smallest, unless it was for a specific set of smaller ones….still think I’d prefer the larger size though, if it were available.

13. Generally for family and friend photographs I like 5×7. I like to display in small groups and don’t like anything larger. But for actual artwork of course we go much larger.

14. Marilyn A says:

Of the 3 sizes listed, I prefer 5 x 7. I also like 4 x 6 if I’m going for something smaller. 5 x 5 isn’t a very standard size so isn’t as useful to me, as usually when ordering prints, I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them.

15. Hi Brandi,
    I like 8×10 … the bigger the better !!
    Have fun with your new idea brewing !!
    Have a great day!
    Patti

16. Hazel says:

I generally like an 8 x10 for a piece I’m framing or displaying, but if it’s an actual photo print, I like it to be 5 x 7. The first size feels more ‘painting size’, the second, more ‘photographic size’. And that’s probably confused you more ;)

17. Cindy says:

Hi Brandi…you are being quite mysterious. :-) Hmm…. I’ll give you my opinion, not knowing what you have in mind. I think 5×7 is a nice, happy medium. :-) For photos, most common for me would be 4×6, but for print-outs, something larger. Can’t wait to learn more. :-)
    Cindy recently posted Easy Wire 2012My Profile

18. Rita says:

Hi, Brandi

Of those sizes my first choice is 5 x 7. But for real life I try for golden mean ratio, or one in which the larger side is some multiple of the shorter side, like 2 x 3 or 4 x 5. I crop a first side to get in the important elements and make the second side some ratio of the first. Or I just go free form to find a good balance.

Rita

19. Dave says:

I’m late to this party, but I would say thatmy choices are print specific. If I was planning on buying a group of prints, I might want them all to be smaller, either 5×5 or 5×7. The 8×10 would be if I was looking to showcase a design more.
    Dave recently posted God Bless Indie Book SellersMy Profile