Color Palette #106 :: Candy Shop

candy shop palette

This trip to D.C., we made it a point of heading up to King Street in Old Town Alexandria, which was awesome and packed full of small boutique shops and restaurants and art galleries. It was definitely picturesque, and I carried my camera (and big, heavy camera bag – groan) around everywhere we went, but I don’t have too many photos to show for it – I guess was having so much fun to take it out much.

If you ever make it to Old Town Alexandria, here are a couple notable stops: Olio – a olive oil tasting room (loved!!), the Bilbo Baggins – a pub with an awesome name (I kept expecting round hobbit doors, but they sadly didn’t have any), and the Torpedo Factory Art Center – which is an old torpedo factory that’s been converted to artists’ galleries/studios/shops and an art school/learning center.

I miss the Torpedo Factory the most, because I’m jealous there’s nothing quite like that near me. I am glad I caught a glimpse of this old-timey candy shop, though, and I had to share it with you today. More photos coming as I can get them edited.

Got any plans for the weekend?

P.S. Just a heads up – if you’re looking to take my Editing with Elements class, the price goes up on Sunday. I’d love to have you!

11 Responses to Color Palette #106 :: Candy Shop

1. Roni J. says:

AHHH! I can’t believe you know Alexandria and the Torpedo Factory! This is such a grand surprise!

I have a very nostalgic & sentimental connection to that place…it’s simply not the time or place to start the story. I will say I love it, and it’s part of my art foundation and love for creating. There is something there for everyone artistic and non-art folk alike. Do you have any favorite artists from there?

I am so glad you had fun and this is such a nice palette. I literally just got done typing your name in a blog entry! =P

I absolutely loved the Torpedo Factory!! I thought it was not only an awesome idea for artists, but a very cool space, too. It’s something I can get behind because I think art should be more accessible, and what a beautiful way to make that happen.

I didn’t get a chance to look at the school they had there on the second floor, but I’d love to work it so I can take a class someday. As for artists, there were several! The only one coming to mind (because I bought some cards with her name on it, lol) is Susan Makara – truly amazing paintings.

I’d love to hear your story sometime, Roni, if you feel like sharing it!

2. Francesca says:

I love the Torpedo Factory! I took pottery classes there for a time – one of my favorite art places ever!! Old Town is so wonderful – never heard of the Bilbo Baggins pub, though. So glad you enjoyed it!

3. Oh I too love the Torpedo factory Art Center. I used to be a member of the Art League there and a friend and I would travel out every month ( 3 1/2 – 4 hr drive each way) just to have our work juried to be in that month’s show. As a member you used to have to volunteer time, so we would work the stacking room during the jurying process. All the pieces that were not selected would be brought back to us and we would have to stack it in a room for the respective artists to find after the jurying was done. Occassionally we would come out to try to listen to the curator as he/she chose the works to be included and would anxiously await our pieces to be judged. It was an exhausting /exhilirating day but after a few years got to be too much. I truly miss it. Thanks for bringing me back those memories this morning!
    Laura Twiford recently posted A Trip Down Memory Lane- Email StyleMy Profile

4. Oh, sounds like so much fun. Old Town and the Torpedo Factory. I can understand not taking many photos. It seems harder to be in the present when one is always trying to figure out what would make a good shot.

Fantastic photo of the candy shop. Lovely dreamy quality and a wonderful palette. Hmmm, a good palette for jewelry. I think I’ll enamel some beads in those colors!

Cyndi

So true, Cyndi, about being in the present. I meant to take more photos, but it’s a weird assortment of random buildings and hardly any of us – kind of feels like a vacation fail, lol.

5. Cindy says:

You were practically in my back yard! You know that dock right behind the Torpedo Factory? I can’t tell you how many times we have taken the kids there to feed the ducks and then get icecream at Ben & Jerry’s…. there are posts on my blogs on that & one on the doors of Old Town. :-) I can see how you had a nice time strolling up and down King St. I haven’t been there in a while – now that the weather is warmer, I’ll have to go back!
    Cindy recently posted The Vocal Focal SwapMy Profile

I never made it to DC when we lived Atlanta… sort of went over it and spent time in New England instead. Love the window shot of the Candy store, reminds me of the old time Lolly Shop (very Australian) in the town where my Dad lives. I think you really should come and visit.
    Libby recently posted An eye for :: tea towelsMy Profile