I’ve heard from quite a few people that while your twenties are good, your thirties are awesome. Here’s hoping that with age maybe comes a little wisdom and a lot of grace.
I am neither afraid or reluctant about turning 30; in fact, I’m the exact opposite. My motto has been something along the lines of “Get me there as quick as you can, please, because I feel like I’m just about to hit my stride!” I don’t know how I know, but I feel like good things are coming. The last nine years have been full of growth, awkwardness, and self-discovery – three things that aren’t necessarily always pleasant – on top of health scares in my family (no worries, everyone’s just fine now). I’m hoping the next decade will be full of adventure and more ups than downs than the last decade had (is that selfish?).
But before the big day comes in October, I really want to celebrate being 29 right now with a 30 Before 30 list (or, should I say, savor this age? I know, I know, really bad pun, sorry). I have a just over 41 weeks till my 30th birthday, so it might be a little intense, but I think I’m up for this kind of personal challenge!
1. Go to a museum I’ve never been to before
2. Explore a part of NYC I’ve never been to before
3. Explore a part of Los Angeles I’ve never been to before
4. Explore a part of Dallas I’ve never been to before
5. Explore a part of Honolulu I’ve never been to before
6. Visit a city I’ve never been to before
7. Read 30 books
8. Bake my own homemade bread
9. Have an Art Day with my niece and nephew
10. Have a wine tasting night
11. Cuddle a baby
12. Completely unplug for a week
13. Have a “Turning 30″ dinner party with friends (most are also turning 30)
14. Host a Virtual Vacation Week
15. Take a photography class
16. Try a craft I’ve never attempted before
17. Bake my own blueberry muffins… from scratch
18. Have a spa day
19. Have a fancy brunch at a fancy restaurant
20. Have a Harry Potter movie marathon
21. See my work in a national magazine
22. Go see a local theater show
23. Learn a new jewelry technique
24. Move to my own website
25. Make my own digital photo layouts (for future photo books)
26. Try yoga
27. Declutter my life
28. Build a piece of furniture
29. Get that e-book finished
30. Teach an art class
I spent the better part of yesterday brainstorming this list (I honestly had no idea that it would take so long – I was stuck at 22 for the longest time). I’d love to look back in October and say that I’ve done every single one of these, but a few might change depending on time and funds (like those trips to California and Hawaii – we’ll have to see if they become a reality!). If they do have to change, I’ve got substitutes!
Anybody else doing a personal challenge this year? An 11 in 2011 or a 30 Before 30? I think it’d be fun to keep tabs on everyone’s progress, see how things are going. What do you think?